Athletics at SMCS
The following athletic teams, dependent upon student interest, are available for...Middle and High School Girls
: Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross-country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, and Volleyball.
Middle and High School Boys
: Basketball, Baseball, Cross-country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, and Track.Athletic Philosophy
1. The athletic program, like the rest of the programs at SMCS, exists to glorify God.
Thus, we will first measure our success not by our wins and losses but by the character of our program.
2. Our first concern is the heart of the student-athlete.
- Does the student-athlete know Christ? This is our first priority because we are more concerned about the eternal destinies of our student-athletes than any other single factor.
- Are they motivated to bring Glory to the Giver of their gifts and talents (1 Corinthians 4:7)?
3. We will measure our success on the character and conduct of our coaches, student-athletes, and fans.
The ultimate measure of our success shall be the character qualities our coaches, students-athletes, and fans display and are developing. We define success as the consistent and growing display of such qualities as love, integrity, humility, loyalty, courage, commitment, respect, servanthood, encouragement, inclusion, empathy, perseverance, taking responsibility, honor in victory, and grace in defeat.
4. We will do our best, as unto the Lord.
We will plan, prepare, practice, and compete to win.
5. Finally, we will actively seek to share the good news of Christ through athletics.
We will pray, prepare, and play in such a way that keeps in view both our unspoken and spoken witness to the person and work of Jesus Christ.
SMCS Sportsmanship Code
1. We will seek to honor Christ in our conduct.
2. We will show love and respect to the opposing team and their fans.
3. We will respect the judgments of the officials.
4. We will support and encourage our student-athletes during the game.
5. We will support the decision-making of our coaches.