The band program at SMCS begins, for interested students, in the 5th grade and culminates with our Advanced Band that is made up of qualified students in grades 8 through 12. The Advanced Band has received Superior Ratings at District Competition and our band members are consistently chosen for All-State Band. In addition, we have both Middle School and High School students involved each year in the numerous Honor Bands (The University of Alabama Birmingham, Jacksonville State, Lee University, Troy University, Auburn University, The University of Alabama, Samford University, and The University of Montevallo). The band has participated in both the Homewood and Vestavia Christmas Parades. Secondary students can also participate in our Pep, Marching, and Jazz bands.
God has blessed our band program with the following awards and opportunities:
- 1995 All American Music Festival: Superior Rating, Best in Class, and Best Overall
- 1997 Orlando Festival of Music: Superior Rating and Best in Class
- 2000 Orlando Festival of Music: Superior Rating and Most Outstanding Concert Band
- 2003 All American Music Festival: Superior Rating and Best in Class for both our Concert Band and Percussion Ensemble
- 2004 American Musical Salute: Our band was the only band in the State of Alabama that was chosen to play at the dedication of the WWII Veteran’s Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- 2005 All American Music Festival: Superior Rating and Best in Class for both our Concert Band and Percussion Ensemble
- 2008 Southern Star Music Festival in Atlanta, Georgia: Bronze Standard
- 2009 Orlando Festival of Music: Superior Rating, First Place Concert Band in our Division, and overall Festival Grand Champion Concert Band
- 2011 Alabama Adventure Music Competition, Grand Champion and Overall Champions
2012 Important Band Dates
- Music in the Parks, Atlanta, Georgia, Second Place
Band Camp -
Band camps for all first year marchers, Auxiliary Groups, and 7th - 12th Percussion - August 1st-3rd
Full band camp for all incoming 7th-12th grade students - August 6th-10th2012 Band Camp Information
Please click here
to download a letter, schedule, and health form for the 2012 Band Camp beginning August 2nd.